- Prophet Mohammed (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: “Had I not thought it difficult for my Ummah, I would have made it obligatory on them to use the Miswak before every Salat.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
- Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said: “‘Make a regular practice of the Miswaak, for verily, it is healthy for the mouth and it is a Pleasure for the Creator (i.e. Allah is pleased with the Muslim who uses the Miswaak)’.” (Bukhari)
The miswak cleans the mouth, polishes the eyes, removes bad breath and dirt in the mouth, whitens the teeth, gives vigor to the gums, promotes digestion, stops phlegm production, and increases the rewards of salat. It purifies the mouth, which is the pathway of the Qur’an al-karim, gives the mouth a nice smell, increases the eloquence of one’s speech, adds strength to the stomach, makes the Devil distraught, multiplies one’s rewards (thawab), cures the bile, relieves the veins in the head, soothes a headache, and causes the soul to leave the body easily.
Our master the Prophet always carried with him a mirror, comb, and miswak. His blessed companions did not neglect to use their miswaks even in battle. It is mustahab to use the miswak when the teeth turn yellow, when the smell of the mouth changes, when one wakes up, when one stands up for salat, when one enters one’s home, when one goes to join gatherings, when one starts to recite the Qur’an, and when one is performing wudu’.
Hadrat Imam-i A’zam stated, “Using a miswak is one of the sunnats of the religion.” Rubbing it on the upper teeth three times and then the lower teeth three times is the minimum act required. It should be rubbed on their inner and outer faces as well as biting/chewing faces and their lower parts. It should be used with the right hand. One should not hold it in a fist, nor should one suck on it. It should be held in such a way that the little finger and the thumb of the right hand are under the stick and the remaining three fingers are on it.
Health Benefits of Miswak
- Enhances the memory.
- Eliminates slime.
- Produces aroma in the mouth.
- Strengthens the gums.
- Blocks tooth decay.
- Stops further grow of decay.
- Remedy for headaches.
- Helps relieving toothaches.
- Triggers the teeth to sparkle.
- Eliminates the yellowishness of the teeth.
- Improves the eye-sight.
- Helpful for the health of your whole body.
- Helps the process of Digestive function.
- treatment for a specific mouth disease called Qilaa
- Clears the voice.
- Trigger the appetite.
- Boosts the eloquence of one’s speech.
- Improve the Intelligence.
- Creates lustre (Noor) on the face of the one who regularly employs it.
- A remedy for all disease except Death.
- Multiplies the Thawaab (reward) of Salaat (prayer) from 70 times to 400 times. (HADITH)
- A thing that will bring in greater rankings in Jannat for those who uses it
- The Angels sing the praises of the person who uses the Miswaak.
- Make use of the Miswaak displeases Shaitaan.
- Use of the Miswaak graces one with the company of the Angels
- The greatest advantage of using the Miswaak is the achievement of Allah Ta’ala’s Pleasure.
Etiquette of Miswak
- The Miswak shouldn’t be too hard or too soft.
- It is produced from trees like Zaytoon, Peelu or Neem but not from a fragrant tree.
- Rub the Miswak on the gums at least 3 times and dip it in water every time.
- Place the Miswak upright when not being used.
- The Miswak should not be thicker than the ring finger and longer than the hand
- Use the right hand to use Miswak.
- Clean your miswak at least 3 times a day.
- Don’t use Miswak in an up or down motion but apply it from right to left since there is a chance of harming the gums.
- It is disliked to use the Miswak in the washroom.
- Don’t use it whilst lying since there is a possibility of bad temper.
- To use Miswak in ablution is an emphasized Sunnah
- Miswak is Sunnah for ablution and not for Salaah.
- Use the Miswak from one end and not both.
- Females can also use the Miswak.
- Cut the bristles (tip) of the Miswak every 1-2 days and begin fresh by biting to make it soft.
- It is permissible to use Miswak whilst fasting.
- To use the Miswak after meal, you will get the benefit of liberating 2 slaves.
May Allah (The Almighty) provide us with the opportunity to practise this beautiful Sunnah with sincerity, Amen.